Like anything precious, a little routine maintenance is strongly recommended. Although silver will naturally tarnish over years, if you follow our suggestions you will continue to enjoy your “treasure” for years to come…as if you had just opened the box for the first time.
- Always apply perfume, lotions and hairspray before you put on your jewellery. Make sure that skin products have been fully absorbed first.
- Remove your jewellery before an invigorating workout, swim, or before going to bed.
- It’s good to keep your jewellery clean by removing dust and dirt with a soft cloth.
- You should wash your jewellery periodically to remove skin oils. Soak it in warm water with a mild washing up liquid and use a soft toothbrush to rub the surface. Rinse it well and lie it on a towel to dry. Make sure it’s completely dry before storing it.
- Keep your piece away from jewellery cleaners. They may have certain compounds in them that will actually accelerate the tarnishing process; the same applies to antibacterial soaps.
- Store your jewellery in a box or cloth bag; this will reduce tarnishing.